Other Calaveras County Cemeteries that are still active
- Altaville Cemetery District has 3 cemeteries:
- Altaville Protestant
- Altaville Catholic
- Serbian Cemetery
- Campo Seco Catholic and Protestant Cemeteries
- Copperopolis Catholic and Protestant Cemeteries
- Double Springs Cemetery is on private land but the owner still allows burials in it.
- Jenny Lind Cemetery
- Jesus Marie Cemetery is a very small historic cemetery
- Milton Cemetery
- Mokelumne Hill Catholic , Protestant and Jewish Cemeteries. The Jewish Cemetery is no longer accepting burials.
- Murphys St. Patricks Catholic Cemetery
- Mountain Ranch Cemetery
- Railroad Flat Independence Cemetery
- Sandy Gulch Cemetery (there is also a Native American Cemetery in Sandy Gulch)
- San Andreas St. Andrews Catholic Cemetery
- San Andreas People's Cemetery
- Sheep Ranch Cemetery
- Vallecito Public Cemetery
- Vallecito IOOF Cemetery
- West Point Cemetery
There are at least 112 known burial sites in Calaveras County. Many of them were burials on family land and others were for the use of a town that no longer exists. The Native Americans also had multiple burial sites throughout the county.
Many ranches have family burial sites that are still in use for family members. We are also aware that in the 1800's people were often buried where they died. The 1858 newspaper stated that a burial ground needed to be supplied in San Andreas because so many burials were taking place in yards and public areas. Murphys had a early burial ground in 1851-52 where victims of a smallpox epidemic, among others, were buried but there is no sign of those graves showing today.
The early hospitals all had cemeteries where patients with no family or money could be buried. The largest of these "Paupers Cemeteries" is in San Andreas, behind the Government Center which stands on the site of the old County Hospital, and it has well over 400 graves in rows marked only with a rock at the head. The names of most of the people buried there are found in the minutes of the Board of Supervisors where deaths and burials from the county hospital were listed monthly.
By supplying the information below the Murphys Cemetery District is not recommending any of the vendors but is only offering the names for informational purposes.
Angels Memorial Chapel, Angels Camp, CA
Heuton Memorial Chapel, Sonora, CA
San Andreas Memorial Chapel, San Andreas, CA
Terzich & Wilson Funeral Home, Sonora, CA
Monuments and grave curbing
Boones Memorials, Sonora, CA
(209) 532-2506 or (800) 532-8550
Sierra Memorials, Sonora, CA
Blooms and Things, Angels Camp, CA